Mage: The Awakening
Released in 2005, Mage: The Awakening is a roleplay game set in the New World of Darkness, a series of games published by White Wolf. The players characters in the game have access to magic, the ability to bend reality to their wills, but such power does not come without consequences. While Mages discover their powers they also discover that the contains a lot more then they thought. From factions attempting to use magic to control the world, to a dark abyss where horrible creatures seek entry into the world to devour it. All the while mages still have to deal with the mundane world, and how their new lives rarely mix well with their old ones.
Common Mage lore suggests that long ago in the past there was an island, called Atlantis, with a large imposing mountain in the centre, upon which dragons made their home. Humanity was at its infancy, consisting of barbaric tribes, and survival being the only thing that mattered against the monsters of the world. As the dragons left some humans had dreams of the island and sought it out, those that made it found caves of dragon bones that resonated with magic. As their magical ability developed, and their powers grew, they came to build the great city known as Atlantis. Other names have been suggested, such as Meru or Lemuria, but the truth has been lost to the ages.
- Genre Storyteller (GST Awakening): Shane McKinnie
For a list of all pages tagged as characters, see the category Category:Awakening_Characters, or look at the relevant Order, Path or city page (or category), which will list the relevant characters.
Every Mage upon awakening is drawn to a Watchtower, a realm within the Supernal world, where they sign their name and gain the ability to draw magic across Abyss. A watchtower helps define a mage, and the type of magic they can access often affects their personalities, but not always.
- Acanthus - Known as the Enchanters of the Awakened community. With their powers of Fate and Time they often live in the moment. Seen by some as a breath of fresh air, and others as immature and childish.
- Mastigos - Called Warlocks by many, the Mastigos tend to see themselves as masters of all. They possess the powers of Mind and Space, and are often ruthless in using them to achieve their goals.
- Moros - Due to their mastery of Death and Matter the Moros have earned the name Necromancers. They tend to have sombre views of the universe, knowing death treats all equally it's hard to maintain a view of good and evil.
- Obrimos - All Obrimos have a divine inspired Awakening, leading to them being called the Theurgists by other mages. With Forces and Prime at their sides they are often devoted to higher causes with neigh-unshakable wills.
- Thyrsus - With their deep connection to Life and Spirit the Thyrsus are known as Shamans to other Awakened. They are often known for following their primal natures, instinct and passion leading them over reason.
For as long as the Awakened can remember there have always been the Diamond orders, recently they have become the pentacle with the inclusion of the Free Council.
- Adamantine Arrow - These Claws of the Dragon seek to protect the Pentacle through force. Their philosophy is the Adamant Way, a lifestyle that encourages strength and adaptability. It's members seek to prove their resolve and uphold their honour in the face of any conflict.
- Free Council - The youngest of the orders, the free council seeks to bring magic into the modern era. Often disbelieving of the old Atlantean tales, the Free Council members often believe that change is for the best and push the boundaries of both Science and Magic.
- Guardians of the Veil - Descended from the Eye of the Dragon the Guardians see themselves as the police of all Awakened. Believing that Vulgar Magic and Paradoxes strengthen the Abyss they do whatever it takes to keep magic a secret, and punish those who abuse it.
- Mysterium - Often known as the Lore Masters of the Pentacle, these Wings of the Dragon are both old fashioned researches and Indiana Style Archaeologists. They seek to learn all they can from the past, both it's knowledge, and the lessons that lead to the fall Atlantis.
- Silver Ladder - Descended from the priests and viziers of Atlantis, collectively known as the Vox Draconis, The Silver Ladder believes that its place is to lead the rest of the Pentacle mages. Their main goal is to reunite the Fallen World with the Supernal Realm, so that all humans can access the magic that is their right. Maintain the Cryptopoly, a network of secret societies, with influence throughout the mortal world.
- Apostate - Apostates are mages that have not joined any Order of awakened and instead make do on their own. Often they do not even join a Cabal, which leads to much distrust from other members of the Awakened community.
- Legacies (Awakening) - Most mages, once able, join a Legacy.
- Cabals - Small groups, primarily local.
- Factions - Large groups within each order.